Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Pharmacists Deserve to Eat and Pee

I understand that pharmacists are the most "accessible" HC professional, but do we really need to be accessible every second of the day? When will a standard 15 minute break be allowed for pharmacists!!!!! (Actually, nevermind 15 minutes, how about 5 minutes?). If we went to school to become a.. ahem.. professional, aren't we entitled to basic human rights like food and a place to pee?



I can't count how many times I have to wolf down the bite that I just put in my mouth because buddy at the front counter needs to talk about his diarrhea and what's normal when you have diarrea.. You have no warning that someone is coming to the counter. You just took a bite, and someone is running towards you and needs to tell you something NOW...! And you have to talk to them now, even though there is food in your mouth, or you have to show them that you are eating and can't open your mouth at that second. And yes, you feel incompetent.. like you are slacking. Then they give you a really strange look when they see that you are chewing something. Yes, we are human, and YES, WE NEED TO EAT! So I rush to swallow the bite, begin to experience my own episode of digestive distress, and run over and deal with whatever little emergency that person has. How about giving me 30 seconds to chew my freaking food, and stop staring at me. I dont' get a break over 10 hours.



Washroom breaks. I tried to take one the other day and instead I found an old guy wandering in our back room. Turns out he was blind, wanted the pharmacy, and wanted to know why we charged him for an Rx 3 months ago. Half an hour later, still no washroom break, and huge lineup.. no end in sight.

Then I finally have a chance to go when it's late and I have no tech. So I make it to the washroom, go, wash hands, leave. 30s at the most. Returning to the pharmacy... people peering inside, almost going in the dispensary to see where the pharmacist is.. like the ice cream man that's always in the truck, .. there should be a pharmacist in there at all times, why isn't there..what is the world coming to, who does she think she is leaving, she must be slacking off, etc. I don't know where they all come from, but they definitly are standing up for their God-Given right as a citizen to have access to a pharmacist at any second, and they are pissed when they can't see you. They start to panic, and look less relieved and more upset when they see you.



Then our cashier trots by on the way to her 2nd 15 minute break in 8 hours. Umm. And we are the ones responsible for checking prescriptions. If we make a mistake we could harm someone.. lose our license, and hence our ability to earn money in our field. A cashier makes a mistake and oops, you need to get the manager's key to open the till and make the correct change. Thank God she is well-fed and rested to be able to do that.

How about they give us our own TPN drip and a pair of Depends and we work for 24 hours straight.. hell, throw in some Concerta Q12H and make it 48 hours.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell me about it... I just got off a 14 hour shift during which i had just enough time to drink 0.5L bottle of water and go pee ONCE! I feel a UTI coming on... oh and food was 1 meal that got scarfed in little bits, got cold and soggy and then i just gave up so that i could listen to a guy tell me that he wanted the cream he had in the hospital, but it wasn't a steroid and i am magically supposed to know what it is!

pharmasista said...

It's amazing how there is such little time for yourself, no matter how many hours you are working! 1 washroom break in 14 hours!! Outrageous! At the end of the shift, you can leave the pharmacy with a sense that you helped people understand their health, and completely ruined yours in the process. (I've gotten UTI's after shifts like that!!)

Anonymous said...

So, the "cashier" trotted in after a 15 min break? How could she/he? If you would not be so degrading to that "cashier" maybe she/he would help you out a little more so you could take a break to go to the washroom or finish a little meal.
We help our Rph's to finish meals or use the restroom. Of course the Rph's who feel like they are soooo much better than us get interrupted each and every time they want to eat. Maybe you should be a little nicer to the "cashiers" and or "Tech's." By the way, I have found out that being Pharmacist in retail is just like working in a factory, you just get payed a little more. I am happy my child is going to med-school and that from a mother who is just a "cashier-Tech."

pharmasista said...

You're right, it does feel like we are working in a factory. I am not sure how you are assuming that we have a lack of respect for technicians.

Technicians are a godsend to pharmacists. They take a large percentage of the brunt of patient anger, ridicule, and plain nastiness. I love my technicians, and make a point to thank them for their help after each shift.

Cashiers work at the front of our store, and deal with a million issues as well. We are never lucky enough to have our own cashier for the pharmacy.

I think the point of this blog was NOT that we have a hatred or a lack of respect for everyone in our store who gets a break... but that EVERYONE deserves a break, EVEN THE PHARMACIST!

Congrats to your child for going into medschool.
(not sure why you felt like you had to go on that tangent about pharmacists degrading techs.... we are on the same team!)

Pharmacy God said...

0- the number of technicians/cashiers working on Saturdays.

10- the number of hours I work on Saturday.

48- the number of yards from the pharmacy to the nearest restroom.

96- round trip distance (in yards) for a potty break

1:52- the amount of time it takes to cover the 96 yards when I have 0 techs during my 10 hour Saturday